Saturday, August 11, 2012

Loc Update

What's up!  What's up everyone!  I hope everyone is doing well.  Today I just wanted to give everyone an update on my locs.  I'm very happy with how my loc's are growing and how they look:)))

Check them out in the pics below:

Front View

  
 Side View


Back View

See guys they are long, beautiful and healthy but just like the majority of loc wearers I discovered lint in my locs.  This was such a disappointing discovery that I actually concerned cutting my locs and going back to being a loose natural.  But after thinking about how far I've come in my loc journey and how far I want to go I decided not to cut them.  Bottom line I want my locs to grow down to my tailbone and I'm not giving up until I achieve that goal.

I just have to figure out how to get the lint out!  Yes I'm on a new quest to find a solution on how to get the lint out of my locs without destroying them.  Like I did one of my locs already using tweezers...lol....If you have not seen it yet checkout my loc update video below:

http://youtu.be/dA6GJUs9SME
In the video I showed everybody how I damaged that poor loc:((((

At first I thought I had lint in only one loc but I was seriously mistaken.  It was like five locs!!!!!  When I went through my hair to cut my two headed dragons (two locs combined to make one loc) I discovered there were other locs that had lint in them too.

The embedded lint in my loc

Poor loc:((

My trimmed ends and the two headed dragons I cut

Instead of attacking them with tweezers, I took a deep breath and said to myself, "I will find a way!"  On that note I decided to change my hair regimen.  Once a week I will clarify my locs after I wash them like I do now (For my current hair regimen, check out the current journey tab) .  The only difference is that I will alternate between using bentonite clay, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and tea tree rinses.

I'm hoping that by using the Bentonite Clay it will pull the lint and build up that is in the core of my locs to the surface so I can wash it out.  Then follow up next week with an acidity clarifier to get rid of the build up on the surface that did not wash out during the previous week's wash.

Also I decided that I wanted my locs to have a neater appearance.  So once a month I'm going to palm roll my locs and interlock every 2 months.  I figured since I have lint and build up issues anyway I might as well try something new.

Anyway that is all I have for you today:)  I will keep everyone updated on how my new hair regimen is working for me in a couple of months.

Remember to stay healthy, natural and happy!!!!!!

Thank you,
Diva Desert Locs

4 comments:

  1. Your hair is beautiful and I like the size.

    Please be careful clarifying every week. Those methods are strong and powerful; you may end up doing more damage than you like.

    At the least, please be sure to deep condition/moisturize afterward to combat the dryness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:))) I will definately keep that in mind.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I am soooooooo glad 1. I was in your etsy shop an 2. You lead me to your blog, I have a four yr old daughter, I started her locs 2 yrs ago I did cut them due to the lint and was verrrrrrrrry disgusted by it!, I can say since then her locs have grown back to the original length, I do go in with a tweezer to get the strays and I put a wig cap on her as soon as she comes home from school and I also send one for nap time. I use jamaican mango & lime tingling shampoo follow up with argon oil, a bit of the locking gel with clips once dried and clips removed, spritz with fantasia liquid mousse and a conditioning mist....My question is there anything I can do for her hair opposed to the steps that you take only because she's so young and after awhile she wants me out of her hair and what do I use to ensure her ends are protected @ night opposed to tucking under wig cap....please help, thanks a million ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your recent purchase and thank you reading my blog. Girl, locs attract lint and it is really hard to avoid it. I would suggest not using so much products on her locs because it causes build up. Maybe use something else besides the locking gel and mouse. My scented gel works great on locs and has a good hold without the product build up. As for the wig cap please make sure it is satan or silk anything else will dry out her locs. I use satan bonnets and silk scarfs. If she sleeps wild try using a satan pillow case. They sell them at Walmart for about $7.00. I hope this helps, thanks again:))

      Delete